Spring Tide—The Playlist!
Why a playlist? Why the heck not?
One of my beta readers recently asked me if this playlist was the music that Kris had in her head. No. Maybe? Probably not. My taste in music is slanted by the fact that I was a teen in the ‘80s and my preferences were shaped then. I’m sure Kris’s tastes are much deeper and cooler than my own. This collection came from songs that were playing on XM or in elevators or in trendier-than-thou clothing stores during the time I was writing Spring Tide. Each piece, for one reason or another, got my attention and made me think about certain characters or situations.
Got a playlist for Spring Tide? What? No? Well, if you ever do please share with me! That’s good fun and I’d love it!
- “Machinehead” by Bush. Definitely a Jericho song, not gonna say why.
- “Show Me What I’m Looking for” by Carolina Liar. Overplayed for far too long, I agree. But for me, it captured Kris’s feelings as she tried to understand unexplainable things about Jericho and what that meant for her.
- “Stolen” by Dashboard Confessional. End of summer song, lovely, yeah.
- “Tick Tick Boom” by The Hives. Kris’s quintessential ‘get the work done’ song.
- “Lazy Eye” by Silversun Pickups. A great boy-meets-girl young love song.
- “What Do I Have to Do?” by Stabbing Westward. Could be a Jericho song or a Kris song depending on the verse. You decide.
- “Lips Like Morphine” by Kill Hannah. Again, could go either way, Kris or Jericho, but probably more Kris before she’s aware.
- “Floating Vibes” by Surfer Blood. Dude, like this one wasn’t going to make it in. The bass line alone makes me wanna leave for SoCal right now.
- “Get Free” by The Vines. Jericho song when he’s shreddin’ and working through his issues with life, Kris, and his past.
- “Psychosocial” by SlipKnot. Aaron.
Oops! Here comes another one!
- “How Soon is Now?” by The Smiths. This song works on so many levels in so many situations that I would be a fool to not include it. Remember what I said? 80’s background—can’t be helped.